These interviews are part of a series that highlights new hires within the industry. Have you recently started a new role or do you know someone who has? Submit your ideas to firstname.lastname@example.org.
David Berkoski was recently hired as the national accounts director for the Boston Park Plaza.
1. What are you most looking forward to in your new role as national accounts director for the Boston Park Plaza? Not only is it a new hotel for me, but Boston is an entirely new city as well. I am excited about the opportunity to learn about everything this great city has to offer. Boston Park Plaza is in the middle of a $100-million renovation, which will bring the public space, meeting space and guest rooms back to their former glory days. We are known for our prime location in the heart of Boston’s Back Bay, which is easily accessible by public transportation. Just steps away from Boston Park Plaza is world-renowned shopping on Newbury Street and America’s first public parks, Boston Common and the Public Garden. This is an exciting message t I will be able to share with my new and existing customers.
2. How do you think your past industry experience has prepared you for this role? Fortunately, I have had the opportunity to work for some very large convention properties around the country, and I have an extensive background in the group sales market. With this, I have been able to build some great relationships and friendships with my former customers, which I believe will assist me in booking new business at Boston Park Plaza.
3. What goals do you have in mind for the hotel for this year and farther down the line? My top priority with this new position is to not only meet, but to exceed my sales quota. I also am looking forward to attending many industry events in my market to continue getting the word out about this amazing property and catching up with many industry friends and associates that I have met over the years.
4. How did you get into the industry? Interestingly, the father of my best friend from high school was the senior vice president of the Hilton Corporation. Being a friend of the family, his father encouraged me to get involved with the hotel business and several times offered his assistance. Then one day I told him I was interested, and after a few phone calls, we were on our way to Chicago and the Palmer House, where I ended up getting hired as a front desk clerk.
5. What do you enjoy most about the hotel? My favorite aspect of Boston Park Plaza is the storied history of the property. E.M. Statler, one of our nation’s most visionary businessmen and hoteliers, opened it in 1927. The hotel is located on what was once beachfront property that was eventually filled in to create the neighborhood now known as Boston’s Back Bay. At the time, Boston Park Plaza was the eight largest property in the world. It also was the first hotel to introduce radios into each of the guest rooms.
6. Any additional comments? Not only is Boston Park Plaza an amazing property, but the entire management staff and employees have welcomed me with open arms. Even though I’ve only just arrived, I truly feel like I am already a part of the Boston Park Plaza family.