Monterey County, known for its scenery and landscapes, will reveal a new Monterey Conference Center in 2017 that underwent a more than $60 million renovation.
But it wasn’t just the convention center that received a revamp other renovations and remodels took place in the region, giving visitors refreshed options in the area.
“The investments that are happening here in Monterey County are not only investments into the individual properties, but also the community and destination,” says Tammy Blount, president and CEO, Monterey County Convention and Visitors Bureau. “The renovations and upgrades will give visitors new experiences that will inspire them to share their life-enriching stories with others.”
- Casa Munras Garden Hotel & Spa underwent major changes, including extensive changes to its guest room and fitness center; the changes were complete in December 2016. Of the 163 rooms, 154 were renovated, including six new junior suites, which include a king bed with a sitting area and a queen sofa sleeper, a full bathroom with a walk-in shower and separate tub, double vanity, wet bar, three-sided gas burning fireplaces and two 49-inch flat screen TVs. Other changes included stylish hardwoods, custom-made furnishings, new windows and more.
- Colton Inn in downtown Monterey is currently updating and upgrading guestrooms; the project is slated for completion in April 2017.
- Embassy Suites by Hilton is completing $11 million renovation, including updates to its ballrooms and guest rooms. The current completion date is slated for April 1 and the end of May, respectively. The lobby, restaurant and bar are also part of the project.
- Hotel 1110 in Monterey saw more than $75,000 in renovations. Several rooms on the thrid floor and the rooftop bar and lounge were updated. The lounge received a new bar with a covered area, providing guests with the opportunity to enjoy cocktails rain or shine.
- Hotel Abrego is renovating its pool and hot tub area and adding a fire pit.
- The Hyatt Carmel Highlands will turn 100 this year and celebrate with a redesign. The California Market at Pacific’s Edge will bring together (fittingly) its current restaurants California Market and Pacific's Edge. A new 870-square-foot deck will include views of the Pacific Ocean and the Big Sur coast. This multimillion dollar project will also feature enhancements to guest rooms, the hotel entrance and the lobby area.
- Monterey Peninsula Inn in Pacific Grove, has invested nearly $3 million into its renovation. Eight new guest rooms—including a handicap unit—were built during the past year. Rooms now include two queen-size beds, a fully equipped kitchen, a gas fireplace and other features. A new front office and lobby also were part of the renovation. Current projects now include an outdoor pool area and two new guest rooms.
- Pebble Beach Resort will develop the new Fairway One at The Lodge in late summer 2017—an addition to The Lodge at Pebble Beach. It will feature 30 oversized guest rooms in three two-story buildings, and two four-bedroom golf cottages each with a 1,000-square-foot living room. A new meeting facility will be added with a 2,500-square-foot main meeting room, coming to a total of 6,500 square feet. Pebble Beach Resorts invested in a three-year renovation of all 454 guest rooms at The Lodge, The Inn at Spanish Bay and Casa Palmero. This project is slated for completion in early 2019.
- The Portola Hotel & Spa is undergoing a multimillion renovation. The hotel recently finished a $10 million full renovamp of all 379 guest rooms and bathrooms. Current renovations include new front doors, a front desk, carpet in the hallway across the entire whole, the lobby, and a new lobby bar and restaurant concept. Other improvements include cutting-edge energy and water conservation fixtures. These showcase the commitment Portola has to sustainability and LEED Certified Status.
- Sanctuary Beach Resort Monterey Bay is undergoing a $4 million renovation of the restaurant and meeting space. The new Saltwood Restaurant, opening May 1, will include cuisine made from sustainable and local ingredients. The resort has plans make updates to the guest rooms.
- SpringHill Suites by Marriott The Dunes will open a new hotel in Marina. Planned to open in May 2017, it will include 106 suites and three meeting rooms.
- The Stevenson Monterey finished its $700,000 renovation project of rooms and bathrooms just last month. The hotel repainted the walls and surfaces, made ADA accessibility upgrades and added a new elevator.
- The Vagabond’s House is taking on more than $600,000 in renovations. Recently, the property updated the lobby and is remodeling a number of rooms in the boutique inn; the planned completion date is the end of March.
- Hotel Carmel and The Hideaway in Carmel-by-the-Sea; Bernardus Lodge & Spa in Carmel Valley; and the Monterey Marriott, Monterey Plaza Hotel & Spa and Monterey Tides in Monterey also completed renovations in 2016.