Knowland, the world’s leading provider of data-as-a-service insights on meetings and events for hospitality, reports overall U.S. meeting volume growth for August 2023 was 21% higher than August 2022. This data is sourced from Knowland’s sales intelligence platform designed to help hoteliers build and protect a hotel’s revenue base.
Las Vegas shined among the top 25 markets with 44% year-over-year growth for meeting volume growth in August. With the excitement over The Sphere at The Venetian and the Formula 1 Las Vegas Grand Prix last November, transportation and construction have emerged as the top 2019 comeback industry segments for 2023, with a 366% and 250% recapture of 2019 meetings and events volume year-to-date, respectively. The average number of attendees for Las Vegas was 439, and the meeting space used averaged over 12,000 square feet.
- Year-over-year comparison: August 2023 event volume increased 21% over August 2022.
Top five markets (by event volume growth): Las Vegas led with national association meetings, followed by technology. Four markets—Nashville, Los Angeles, Seattle, and Chicago—rounded out the top 5 growth markets for year-over-year volume growth. Below is additional insight into the top drivers for these markets.
- Las Vegas: National association, technology, entertainment/media, training/education, wedding
- Nashville: National association, technology, health care, manufacturing, and training/education
- Los Angeles-Long Beach: Education, training, technology, charity/nonprofit, and wedding
- Seattle: National association, technology, wedding, education, health care
- Chicago: National association, wedding, technology, education, and health care
- Top markets (by percentage growth): The top overall U.S. markets by year-over-year growth in meetings and events were Greensboro-Winston Salem, North Carolina; Michigan South; Mobile, Alabama; Madison, Wisconsin; and Norfolk-Virginia Beach, Virginia.