For the DIYers among our readers, Sheraton Dallas Hotel’s Open Palette is letting you in on the secret to making a delicious barrel-aged Old-Fashioned Rust cocktail—straight from the barrel to your tastebuds.
Barrel-aged Bourbon Recipe
– A 1 Liter American Oak Barrel
– Whisk or large spoon
– 1 liter of your favorite bourbon
– 1.75 oz bottle of Angostura Bitters
– .75 oz bottle of Regan’s Orange Bitters
1. Make sure to cure the barrel for a few days (directions will come with the barrel). 2. Pour all of the ingredients into the container. 3. Stir gently for two minutes. 4. Make sure the spouts on the barrel are closed. 5. Pour the contents of the container into the barrel. 6. Let sit for at least two weeks (over a month is preferable).
– Barreled Old-Fashioned bourbon
– Luxardo cherry
– Orange peel
1. Add ice to an Old-Fashioned glass. 2. Pour 2.5 oz of barreled-age bourbon into a glass.
3. Stir for at least 30 seconds to dilute contents with water. 4. Add Luxardo cherry.
5. Using a fresh orange peel, zest the cocktail and rub the rim of the glass with the orange peel, drop the orange peel into the glass.
6. Enjoy your barrel-aged Old-Fashioned!